Saturday, July 25, 2009

What are we doing?

I've been thinking for awhile on what to write, but haven't been able to formulate words. We've lived in a new place for a little over a month now and things are just feeling like they are settling. People say that the church is struggling in the Northwest or that this is the most unchurched region of the country. I'm beginning to see what people are saying, but have a bit of a disagreement.

It's true that it may take some time to find a strong group of believers, but God is definitely working here. I think we've been wrong to measure the spiritual awareness of an area by the number of churches that exist. In fact, maybe our idea of spiritual health is wrong altogether. Maybe the question to ask is. "What am I doing that stirs my heart toward Christ?" Depending on how we might answer this, may truly determine our desire and pursuit of Christ. This breaks down the simple checklist that has held our attention for too long.

I'm learning that it's easy to read my Bible and spend time in prayer. It's easy to do things that keep me from engaging the world around me. I can keep my head in a book all day and feel spiritual at the end without really doing anything. Not to say these things are intrinsically wrong or should be taken lightly, but I think they are easy. Easy because they don't really cost us anything. There's nothing at stake for doing them. But when we step outside of ourselves and engage a hostile world, we're opening ourselves up for rejection. Something that I struggle with myself and hate the feeling of being rejected.

So, where does this take us? I think if we read and learn from the lessons of the early church in Acts, we'll see what God intended for His church. The church was bold in its message. And when people came against them, they didn't quiet down but prayed for more boldness. They rejoiced as people pushed them away and even out of the cities. They scattered and went to new cities not worried about comforts and support systems. They sought opportunities to be outside the church while still being connected to a community of believers. Their faith produced true actions that left behind worries of big budgets and programs. My prayer is for a renewal of such faith within myself and other believers. May we truly walk by faith.

Go in peace....

1 comment:

Justin Vance said...

I'm inspired by your words, sir. Great questions and time for self evaluation.

Thank you